Friday, 9 August 2013

Biding my time....

This a pretty boring post, but I felt the need to write something about what's going on.
Being in limbo gives you time to think about what to do with your days while you're waiting (in this case, for meds to work). So many of the things I used to do and that, in fact, defined me, are now quite impossible. As the pain and inflammation does a tour around my body, the situation seems to change from day to day. In my original flare I was doing cartoons (and have ideas for a few more) when my left hand (I'm a leftie) decided to go on strike. Sausage fingers and very painful joints meant no more drawing. Okay....what about knitting? Wouldn't that hurt the hands more? Surprise! Surprise! It actually is helping keep them flexible, at least the way I'm knitting. I used to knit a lot; doggie coats and a knitted Tardis (yep, you read that right), but now the game has changed.  Here are my secrets:


1. Very short, thick needles of bamboo.
2. Lovely thick washable boucle yarn: very easy to knit with and very nice feel to the hands.
3. I start with 22 cast-on stitches and knit away in stockinette stitch (knit one row, purl one row) so that my hand position changes every-other row (avoiding repetitive strain).
4. VERY loose tension (I would get  a "D" even in beginner's knitting 101).
5. Just knit until I get a square (no pattern, no stress; mindlessness).
6. I hold the needles very loosely, not like you're holding a pen, and the yarn hangs loose rather than around my right hand. I've always knitted this way and have found that there are no pressure points or repetitive strain problems.

I've decided when I get enough squares, I'll stitch 'em together into a wee bankie to cover me when on the recliner. How Granny can you get? I just started with whatever I had on hand, then added other colours. Here's what I ended up with, colour wise:
 
 
I'm going to put them together in a Southwest-ish pattern like this:
 
...but with the terracotta around the outside border. It's my bankie and I like it.
 


Other activities:

 I am preparing work for my little telescope if my fatigue level will cooperate for night-time viewing (severe fatigue is also a symptom of this lovely disease). I started thinking about things I really enjoy doing. Back in my long-ago youth, I was fascinated with microscopy and you could find me glued to my Tasco deluxe microscope most weekends (yes I was, and am, a nerd). I bet a lot of you had that very same Tasco instrument in your childhood. When we were travelling a while ago, we saw a really cool microscope by Celestron that has a digital screen and built-in camera:

LCD Digital Microscope
 
It had a pretty high price tag that particular camera shop, so I just filed it away in my memory for future perusal. Well, I found a "like new" one on Amazon for about 1/4 of the original price, so...I ordered it! Can't wait until it gets here! Fun, fun, fun!
 
All this and reading, watching old movies, gaming....biding my time. Hopefully some good news soon????


No comments:

Post a Comment