Tuesday, 1 January 2013

Resolution 5K Virtual Race

Happy New Year!

I did a 5K virtual race today, the Resolution Run (you even get a medal - coming in the mail). I wanted to do it on some local paved trails, but they weren't plowed and were covered in bumpy, slick ice and snow. Not into broken bones, so I had to think fast and ended up at a local arena's (huge, plowed, non-icy) parking lot. The arena was closed today, so I had the lot to myself. It was cold (wind chill of 13F) with a stiff northerly wind. I racewalked, zigging and zagging the best I could to avoid too much face-on wind.





My time was quite slow for me - 35:50 (racewalking), but not surprising, given the wind and the continual zigzag :) I was cold at the beginning, but pretty warm near the end. This is the first of my 13 in 2013!!!!

I also signed up for one of my 2013 half marathons today, the Detroit half. It has a competitive walk division and a really cool international route. I did this half back in 2008 before I knew anything about walking properly. I'm really looking forward to retracing my steps! Registration opened today and between now and the 6th it is $25 cheaper than it will be come the 7th, so go for it if you want to do this race!

No comments:

Post a Comment