Saturday, 5 May 2012

Taper Time!

Yes. it's that time again. I'm about to embark on a taper in prep for my half marathon next weekend in Sudbury. Now, I've done tapers before, and really they've only consisted of doing the regular week's training, but cutting back significantly on mileage and numbers of intervals, etc. But I've been reading a few articles on the subject, specifically this one at Dave McGovern's site: Tapering and Race Preparation for Racewalkers and these two, which although geared towards runners are very appropriate for racewalkers as well: Coach Brian Mac and Coach Joe English . The studies referred to in these articles gave me a whole new way of looking at tapering, and a way to keep the old "taper madness" at bay as you're doing something a bit different. So, based on the info in these articles and with my average weekly mileage at about 32, I've come up with a series of diminishing daily intervals designed to keep my peak going and be rested but rarin' to go next weekend! Guess I'll have to wait until after the half to report on its success.

1 comment:

  1. I'm doing the taper that is on Dave McGovern's site. It's a good one.

    ReplyDelete